‘Opposition-less’ government in Nagaland as parties join hands for Naga political issue
Kohima, Aug. 16 (EMN): Putting an end to weeks of speculation around the political development in Nagaland, the ruling People’s Democratic Alliance (PDA) on Monday unanimously decided to take the principal opposition party, Naga People’s Front (NPF) on board, thus paving the way for an opposition-less government under the new nomenclature “Nagaland United Government (NUG)”.
The PDA partners — Nationalist Democratic Progressive Party (NDPP), Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) and two Independent legislators – took the decision nearly one month after the NPF announced its decision to support the concept of an opposition-less government without any pre-condition in order to facilitate early settlement of the protracted Naga political issue.
On this, the NDPP, BJP and NPF on Monday issued a joint resolution signed by a dozen of leaders including Chief Minister Neiphiu Rio, Deputy CM Yanthungo Patton, NDPP President Chingwang Konyak, BJP Nagaland President Temjen Imna Along, TR Zeliang and NPF President Dr. Shurhozelie Liezietsu.
According to the joint statement, the three political parties and two Independent MLAs had resolved to abide by the resolutions passed “for the purpose of actively facilitating as committed in our respective party manifesto the ‘Naga political Issue’ towards achieving inclusive, acceptable and honourable solution”.
Here are terms the legislators had resolved to abide:
- That the political parties shall aim at promoting the Naga peace talks with positive approach in the greater interest of achieving peace and to move forward under a positive environment that is conducive towards finding a political solution at the earliest time possible
- That the political parties shall appeal to all Naga political groups to make serious efforts towards unity and reconciliation.
- That the political parties shall ensure unity of its members in the Legislative Assembly towards the issue and shall make all possible endeavours to achieve the objective.
- That the political parties at this crucial juncture of the ‘Naga political issue’ shall encourage and impress upon the government of India and all the negotiating parties to bring about the solution to a logical conclusion at the earliest.
- That the political parties shall stand together towards achieving the goal of acceptable settlement.
The People’s Democratic Alliance (PDA), a pre-poll alliance of the NDPP and BJP, formed the government in Nagaland after securing a majority in Assembly Election in 2018 and the NPF became the opposition but it became necessary for all the elected representatives to sincerely work together to expedite and achieve the common goal of peaceful solution to the Naga political issue, it was informed.
The Parliamentary Core Committee on Naga Political Issue, which consisted of legislators from all parties, affirmed the joint united approach in achieving settlement to the Naga issue on July 9 this year before the NPF resolved 10 days later (July 19) to support the committee and endorsed the concept of opposition-less government to facilitate peaceful settlement of Naga issue.
The joint statement went on to say that all the members of Nagaland Legislative Assembly had resolved to stand united to achieve a peaceful amicable political solution to the crucial Naga political issue; and in view of the on-going peace talks endorsed the concept of “United Government” to facilitate an honourable and acceptable solution.