UNC bandh passes off peacefully
IMPHAL, January 23
The United Naga Council (UNC)’s 12 hrs bandh in Naga inhabited areas of Manipur in protest against the statement of Joint Secretary (in-charge of the North East), Shambhu Singh, of Ministry of Home Affairs passed off peacefully without any report of untoward incident on Thursday. The vehicular movement along the two National Highways 2 (Imphal-Mao route) and NH 37 (Imphal-Jiribam route), the two lines of the state was severely affected due to the bandh which come to end at 6 p.m.
The essential commodities – laden trucks coming from outside the state were stranded at the Mao gate bordering Nagaland. According to the sources, Tata winger, inter-state buses and trucks were also lined up at the hill station, 110 km north of Imphal, to move for their onward journey during the bandh. As a result, no vehicle was seen plying on the road between the Mao-Senapati stretch as volunteers from different organization tried to ensure that the bandh was enforced effectively.
In Chandel, Ukhrul and Tamenglong district headquarters too, the bandh was effective as almost all the markets in the respective hill towns remained closed from dawn to dusk.
The educational institutions, business establishments and other commercial centres besides other private institutions also remained closed during 12 hours shut down. However, there no untoward incidents was reported in most of the places including important hill stations such as Mao, Maram, Tadubi and Senapati district headquarters, reports from Senapati said.
The bandh was called to protest against the Joint Secretary Shambhu‘s provocative statement and seeking the Government of India intervention to arrange immediate alternative arrangement for the Nagas in Manipur. UNC had also expressed their desire to abstain from participating the Republic day function in view of the government of India’s indifferent attitude towards their issue. UNC has been demanding alternative arrangement for the Nagas in Manipur.
Meanwhile, the tripartite talks with UNC on ‘Alternative Arrangement’ involving the Government of India and Manipur Government have been fixed on February 6. Deputy Secretary (NE-III), S Saha of Union Ministry of Home affairs has sent a letter to UNC president L Adani in this regard, reports available here said. The state government of Manipur has consented to send representatives at political level, says the MHA letter.
In view of the above, the UNC is requested to call off all agitation programme connected to the tripartite talk issue. It may be noted that the 6th round of talks on the issue was held in New Delhi on August 30 last year.