Thursday, July 07, 2022
image
Nagaland

Two more bodies recovered along border

1
By EMN Updated: Aug 18, 2014 12:24 am
A A A

PTI
GUWAHATI, AUGUST 17

TWO more bodies have been recovered from violence-hit Assam-Nagaland border on Sunday with the toll rising to nine in the violence.
“Two more bodies were recovered today taking the toll to nine and all were victims of the first day violence of August 12 in Uriamghat area,” Additional director general of police (law and order) A P Rout told PTI.
“Earlier, it was reported that eleven bodies were recovered from the spot till August 15 but later it was found to be seven,” he said.
“It happened due to dual calculation at the village and again by their relatives. The two bodies were recovered from Chainpur village in Golaghat district on Sunday,” Rout said.
Assam home and political commissioner and secretary Gyanendra Dev Tripathi said, “After police reached the spot, it was found that seven and not eleven bodies were found till August 15. The number of injured has also increased to seven from three.”
“The situation is currently stable. People in relief camps have visited their homes and are expected to move to their houses in a day or two. Moreover, the number of inmates in relief camps has come down to 9,300 from around 10,000,” Tripathi said.
He, however, said the night curfew from 6pm to 6am in the area along the inter-state border will continue in order to avoid any untoward development.
“Assam Police along with CRPF have set up 18 pickets in the area. They facilitate return of the people, whose houses have not burnt,” he said.

Assam to submit detail report to MHA

Correspondent
GUWAHATI, AUGUST 17

ASSAM Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi on Sunday directed the state’s Chief Secretary Jitesh Khosla and Principal Secretary to the Chief Minister Jishnu Barua to submit a memorandum to the Union Ministry of Home Affairs giving details of the violence on the inter-state border.
“The Chief Minister has also directed them to highlight measures which ought to be taken to avert the recurrence of such incidents on the border in the future,” a release issued by the Chief Minister’s Office said.
The state government has announced an ex gratia payment of Rs 5 lakh to the next of kin of the deceased and Rs 50,000 to those whose houses have been torched, the release added.
Official sources said security had been beefed up in the affected areas to thwart any untoward incidents.
“An additional three companies of the CRPF, three companies of the paramilitary forces and two companies of the Assam Police battalions have been deployed in the trouble-torn areas,” they said.

1
By EMN Updated: Aug 18, 2014 12:24:54 am