Scabies Infestation in Pig and its Preventive Measures
Scabies infestation is a very common contagious skin disease of pig. It is caused by an Ectoparasite called Sarcoptes scabiei Var suis. The disease is spread by direct contact with infected pig or contaminated sheds, feeders/water troughs, farm equipments etc. A significant effect of scabies infestation in pig is reduced growth rate.
Signs and Symptoms of Scabies infestation in Pig:
1. Loss of appetite, weak, depress and loss of weight.
2. Excessive hair loss.
3. Intense pruritus at base of ear, neck and groin region.
4. Constant itching and rubbing of body surfaces against surrounding objects.
5. Move around restlessly.
Some steps to prevent scabies infestation in pig.
1. The pig shed should be always kept clean and dry. Through washing and disinfection of the shed at least once a week.
2. Fed well balance nutritious diet along with Vitamin and mineral supplement.
3. Feeder and water troughs should be cleaned daily.
4. Any diseased condition/infected pig should be immediately isolated from healthy ones.
5. Regular and timely deworming and vaccination to be carried out.
In case of a suspected scabies infestation in your pig, the owner should immediately consult a Veterinarian or visit the nearest Veterinary Health Centre for early diagnosis and proper treatment.
Dr. Elizabeth Yhome
Veterinary Hospital Kohima