Kuwait Fire Tragedy: Around 40 Indians Killed, Says MEA; Jaishankar Speaks To Kuwaiti FM - Eastern Mirror
Thursday, July 11, 2024
image
India

Kuwait fire tragedy: Around 40 Indians killed, says MEA; Jaishankar speaks to Kuwaiti FM

6091
By IANS Updated: Jun 13, 2024 11:18 am
Kuwait fire tragedy: Around 40 Indians killed, says MEA; Jaishankar speaks to Kuwaiti FM
**EDS: SCREENSHOT VIA PTI VIDEOS** New Delhi: External Affairs Minister S. Jaishankar during a review meeting by Prime Minister Narendra Modi on a fire incident in Kuwait, in New Delhi, Wednesday, June 12, 2024. A fire engulfed a multi-storey building in Kuwait housing foreign workers, mostly Indians, on Wednesday, killing at least 49 people and injuring more than 50 others, according to officials. (PTI Photo)

NEW DELHI — External Affairs Minister S. Jaishankar on Wednesday spoke to his Kuwaiti counterpart Abdullah Ali Al-Yahya about the fire tragedy in Kuwait City in which around 40 Indians are feared to have died.

According to reports by Kuwaiti media, the fire broke out in a six-floor building that was crammed with migrant workers in the city’s al-Mangaf area.

Read more: Several Indians among 41 killed in Kuwait apartment blaze

EAM Jaishankar, in a post on X, said: @Spoke to Kuwaiti FM Abdullah Ali Al-Yahya on the fire tragedy in Kuwait. Apprised of the efforts made by Kuwaiti authorities in that regard. Was assured that the incident would be fully investigated and that responsibility will be fixed.”

Kuwait fire tragedy 1
Rescuers arrive at the site of a building that caught fire in Kuwait, Wednesday, June 12, 2024. At least 41 people died when a fire swept through a building that housed workers in Kuwait early Wednesday, and officials said the blaze appeared to be linked to code violations. AP/PTI

S. Jaishankhar said that he urged the Kuwaiti Foreign Minister for the early repatriation of the mortal remains of those who lost their lives.

“He emphasized that those injured were getting the requisite medical attention. We will review the situation after MoS Kirtivardhan Singh reaches Kuwait tomorrow,” he added.

Prime Minister Narendra Modi earlier on Wednesday chaired a review meeting on the fire tragedy in Kuwait at his residence.

PM Modi also announced ex-gratia relief of Rs 2 lakh to the families of deceased Indian nationals from the Prime Minister’s Relief Fund.

The Prime Minister expressed his deep sorrow at the unfortunate incident and extended condolences to the families of the deceased. He also wished speedy recovery for those injured.

Kuwait fire tragedy 3
**EDS: SCREENSHOT VIA PTI VIDEOS** New Delhi: Prime Minister Narendra Modi chairs a review meeting on a fire incident in Kuwait, in New Delhi, Wednesday, June 12, 2024. A fire engulfed a multi-storey building in Kuwait housing foreign workers, mostly Indians, on Wednesday, killing at least 49 people and injuring more than 50 others, according to officials. (PTI Photo)

Meanwhile, in a statement, the External Affairs Ministry (EAM) said: “In an unfortunate and tragic fire incident in a Labour housing facility in Mangaf area of Kuwait, around 40 Indians are understood to have died and over 50 injured. The Embassy is ascertaining the full details from the concerned Kuwaiti authorities and the company. We offer our deepest condolences to the bereaved families.”

The EAM statement mentioned that those injured are presently admitted to five government hospitals in Kuwait and receiving proper medical care and attention. According to hospital authorities, most of the admitted patients are stable.

The EAM statement further said: “Following the incident, Ambassador of India in Kuwait, Adarsh Swaika, immediately visited the location of the incident and also the hospitals to ascertain the welfare of the Indian nationals. The Embassy continues to coordinate with local authorities to assist Indian nationals who have been injured in this unfortunate incident and extend all possible support. The Embassy is receiving full cooperation from the Kuwaiti authorities.”

Kuwait fire tragedy 2
Mangaf: The burnt building where a fire broke out killing at least 41 people, in Mangaf, Kuwait, Wednesday, June 12, 2024. (PTI Photo)

The statement also said that the Indian Embassy in Kuwait continues to remain in touch with local authorities to provide relief to those affected.

“The Embassy has established a helpline +965-65505246 (WhatsApp and regular call) for family members to get in touch. Regular updates are being provided through the helpline,” the EAM said.

The fire broke out while the workers were asleep, and some residents had to jump from the building in an attempt to survive, Kuwaiti newspaper al-Qabas reported, citing witnesses.

Kuwait’s Emir Meshal Al Ahmad has ordered investigations to determine the cause of the blaze and bring to account those found responsible, Kuna said.

6091
By IANS Updated: Jun 13, 2024 11:18:55 am
Website Design and Website Development by TIS