KES announces shortlisted books for Gordon Graham Prize for Nagaland Literature
Dimapur, Aug. 26 (EMN): Kohima Education Society (KES) has announced the shortlist of books for the 2021 Gordon Graham Prize for Nagaland literature.
Books shortlisted for the 2021 Gordon Graham Prize are
Shortlisted books under fiction category:
1. Dreams & Chaos – Sentilong Ozukum
2. Once upon a time in Kohima – Konaei Shongdok
3. The unlikely India – Nzan Kikon
4. Waiting for the dust to settle – Veio Pou
Shortlisted books under non-fiction category:
1. A beginner’s guide to the butterflies of the Himalayan – Wonchi and Mhayani Murry
2. Infrastructure of injustice: State and politics in Manipur and Northeast India – Raile Rocky Züpao
3. The Chang Nagas: In memory of our ancestors – Wongto Chingmak
4. The lost mission: A true story of love, sacrifice and betrayal – Peking Y Jimo
5. Thipuzu: A world of its own – Sezolü Khamu
6. A girl swallowed by a tree: Lotha Naga tales retold – Nzanmongi Jasmine Patton
In a joint statement, Dr. Akum Longchari and Charles Chasie stated that the award was aimed at recognising and rewarding the knowledge-keepers and idea givers of Naga society and was intended to encourage reading and writing within the Naga community.
It added that the Gordon Graham Prize for Naga Literature was named after Gordon Graham, who initiated and founded the Kohima Educational Trust (KET) in 2004 with the intent to assist with the education of the descendants of the Naga allies who helped the British to win the Battle of Kohima.
“Gordon yearned to see Nagas come closer with each other and to live in peace and harmony. It was his idea to start a Naga literature prize to promote Naga writing,” the statement read.
Gordon passed away in 2015. To honour and celebrate Gordon’s vision, the Kohima Educational Society (KES), the Nagaland counterpart of the KET, decided to name the prize for Naga literature after Gordon.
It further stated that an independent panel of three judges would review the shortlisted books and announce the winner of each category in November 2021.