Fire near city tower causes panic
DIMAPUR, OCTOBER 3
An unexplained fire in the heart of the city broke out inside a garage at NST colony on Thursday evening, at around 6.30 pm. The inferno reduced an eatery inside the complex to ashes and caused damages to at least three vehicles parked inside the garage. “Swift intervention” from the fire service prevented a potential disaster. Had the flames spread onto the adjacent store, separated only by a brick wall, residents of the locality feared that the fire would have been impossible to contain. They said that the adjacent store was stocked with “paint” materials.
Both the eatery and the garage had been closed when the fire broke out. With no proper source or eyewitnesses to confirm the cause, police suspects that an electric short-circuit might have triggered the inferno.
The worth of the damage to materials and property could not be established till the filing of the report. Four-fire trucks were pressed into service to contain the fire.
DC Dimapur, N Hushili Sema also rushed to the spot to monitor the situation. She singled out the city fire service for praise. “We really appreciate the fire service for their prompt action and averting a potential disaster,” she said.