Fire guts 5 thatched houses, warehouse in Dimapur
DIMAPUR — Five thatched houses and a warehouse storing mattresses were gutted in a fire that broke out on Monday near Khermahal junction in Dimapur, leaving several people homeless.
An official from the Central Fire Station in Dimapur informed that they received a distress call around 12:39 pm, after which they promptly arrived on the scene and successfully extinguished the fire in approximately one hour and 10 minutes, thereby preventing it from spreading to neighbouring areas.
According to the officer, seven fire tenders — four from the Central Fire Station, two from the West Fire Station and one from the Chümoukidema Fire Station — were dispatched to douse the inferno. At least six burst LPG cylinders were recovered from the site.
The officer also said that the suspected cause of the fire was due to electrical short-circuit.
While the extent of property damaged is being assessed, fortunately, no casualties were reported.
One of the house owners said that the fire broke out around noon, destroying all of his belongings including important documents.
The owner of the mattress warehouse, who rushed to the scene after receiving a call around 1:30 pm, could not save any items by the time he arrived.
The fire destroyed goods worth approximately INR 15 lakh, according to sources.
Another resident, a bike mechanic, claimed that INR 1 lakh in cash was lost in the fire and he was also unable to salvage any household items.
The affected residents are reportedly non-Nagas engaged in various occupations such as a fruit vending, cart pulling, mechanics and labourers.