Fire destroys two houses in Phek; property worth INR 16 lakh damaged
Kohima, Oct. 10 (EMN): In an unfortunate incident, a fire broke out in the wee hours of Saturday, completely razing two houses at Khulazu Basa village in Phek district.
The village council chairman of K Basa, Vechohu Chuzho, told Eastern Mirror that the fire broke out at around 3.30 am. It is suspected to have started from a cardamom dryer machine installed in one of the two houses, he informed.
“Villagers rushed to the spot and tried to douse the fire. However, the two houses were completely gutted and we could not retrieve anything,” he said.
The chairman informed that property worth about INR 16 lakh was damaged by the fire. Fortunately, the family members were able to escape unhurt.
Meanwhile, in a heart-warming gesture, the neighbouring villages came forward to contribute relief materials in cash and kind to the two affected families immediately after the incident.
Besides cash, villagers from Chokri area brought various items like blankets, timber, utensils, and rice etc., informed the chairman.
He thanked the neighbouring villagers for their support.
The district administration and police from Chetheba town had come for spot verification of the incident on the same day, he added.
Sources from the village also informed that soon after the incident, volunteers of all ages in the village had come forward to help construct a new house for the two families.
“Till the houses are fully constructed, the two families will be sheltering in relatives’ places,” it was informed.
Another villager said that the fire could not be doused early as it happened in the wee hours and people were asleep by then. “Even with plenty of water available nearby, not a single item could be retrieved,” the source added.