AYUSH Intervention in PoshanMaah
WHAT IS POSHAN MAAH?
PoshanMaah roughly translates to Nutrition Month. It is a month-long observance by India to eradicate malnutrition in the country.The move is part of the country’s National Nutrition Mission. It has been observed in the month of September since 2018.One important part of PoshanAbhiyaan is the “early identification of children suffering from Severe Acute Malnutrition (SAM)”. “This early identification is important for timely initiation of treatment and minimising the risk of complications”.“Therefore, during RashtriyaPoshanMaah this year, a drive for identification and treatment of children with SAM will be undertaken,” it said.
ROLE OF AYUSH IN POSHAN MAAH:
The ministryof AYUSH said it would rope in experts from indigenous systems of Ayurveda, Siddha and Unani. They would then help to “provide guidance on good nutrition, complementary feeding etc.”The ministry will initiate and coordinate special measures for this through the network of its autonomous bodies. It will tap stakeholders like Ayush educational institutions as well.It will also customise its ongoing awareness campaign during the month by focusing on the theme Ahara, which may translate to feeding or diet.The ministry will also reach out to the public with targeted messages on the topic.The Ministry has prepared 4 Yoga protocols, published by Ministry of Women & Child Development which was released during the 2nd Meeting of National Council of India’s Nutrition Challenges.
- Yoga for Pregnant ladies.
- Yoga for Lactating Mothers.
- Yoga for children of 3-6 years.
- Yoga for Adolescents.
|Level of Organization||Institutions|
|National Level||11 National Institutes under AYUSH|
|State Level||State AYUSH Directorates|
|District /Sub District Level||4000AYUSH Hospitals & Teaching Institutions|
|Block/village Level||27000AYUSH dispensaries|
INTERVENTIONS: Advocacy for behavioral changes:
- Nutrition counseling for adolescents.
- Nutrition counseling during pregnancy.
- Breastfeeding education for lactating mothers.
- Non-communicable diseases: increasing consumption of wholesome diet, nutritional substances from AYUSH, fruit and vegetable to reduce the risk of NCDs.
AYUSH Nutritional interventions through NUTRITION CAMPS:
- Promotion of Ayurvedic galactgogue like Shatavari during pregnant and lactating period
- Ayurvedic iron supplementation in pregnant women and adolescent girls
- Promotion of De-worming in children and adolescents
- Promotion of kitchen gardens with traditionally used herbs/tree species having nutritional values.
- Wide Dissemination of guidelines on Nutrition from National Institute of Naturopathy, Pune and other Research Institutions.
- Wide dissemination of Yoga protocol for pregnant ladies, lactating mothers, adolescent girls etc.
MASS MEDIA CAMPAIGN:
- Radio Talks and discussions on State level TV channels to high light the importance of Traditionally used medicinal herbs, locally available Fruits and Vegetables for promoting the nutritional requirements of vulnerable groups like Pregnant women, Adolescent girls, Infants & Lactating mothers.
- Various standardized nutritional diet charts along with Do’s and Dont’s according to Dincharya&Ritucharya Protocols.
- Nutrition Camps: 3rd and 4th week of September
- Mass Media Campaign: Once in every week of September
- The State/UT Governments have been requested to organize AYUSH Intervention activities on Nutrition during POSHAN Maah.
- The AYUSH manpower deployed under the State AYUSH Hospitals/Dispensaries/Teaching Institutions will play proactive role in respective localities for promoting identified activities during the Month.
- AYUSH Hospitals and dispensaries will provide the needful logistic support for the nutrition camps.
- The camps will be organized both at institution level /as well as Village level as outreach activity.
- The states have been advised to make the involvement of public representatives including Panchayati Raj Institutions during the nutrition camps.
Medical Officer (Ayurveda)
North Eastern Institute of Folk Medicine
(An Autonomous National Institute under Ministry of AYUSH, Govt. of India)
Pasighat: Arunachal Pradesh
Issued in Public Interest