Friday, December 03, 2021
image
Nagaland

2004 twin blasts trial deferred again

1
By EMN Updated: Sep 17, 2013 2:01 am
A A A

Staff Reporter
DIMAPUR, SEPTEMBER 16

THE second prosecution trial of the nine accused persons in the 2004 Dimapur twin blasts scheduled on September 16 was, once again, deferred to September 30 next. In the absence of the District Session and Judge, who is on leave, the trial was to be held in the court of the Additional District Sessions and Judge, Dimapur, on Monday. Public Prosecutor, Imtiakum Jamir told newsmen that the trial could not proceed on Monday because the defense lawyers, represented by the District Legal Services Authority, had failed to “rectify the irregularities committed” in the procedure, as instructed by the court in the previous hearing.
Earlier on August 19 last, the District Sessions and Judge, S Hukato Swu had deferred the trial “since the case lacked proper rectification leading to a doubtful procedure in the trial.”
The Public Prosecutor on Monday said that if the defense counsel fails to comply with the court directive at the next hearing scheduled on September 30 next, he would be forced to petition the court to provide legal aid to the accused persons at the expense of the State as provided under section 304 of CrPC. “Because it (repeated deferment) cannot go on like this,” he said.
It might be noted that Dimapur police had charge-sheeted 10 persons in connection with the twin blasts that rocked Dimapur on October 2, 2004. While investigation was still on, one of the accused persons was found dead under mysterious circumstances inside the prison cell.

1
By EMN Updated: Sep 17, 2013 2:01:42 am