Dzükou Valley to be reopened to visitors next month
Kohima, Jan. 15 (EMN): The Southern Angami Youth Organisation (Sayo) has said that entry restriction to Dzükou Valley will remain in force till January end but it would be relaxed starting next month.
Sayo president Zakieleto Tsükrü and general secretary Adukho Kintso told this to Eastern Mirror on Friday.
Trekking to Dzükou Valley has been restricted since the nationwide lockdown to contain the spread of Covid-19 was imposed in March last year.
Sayo updated that it would assess the situation around the valley before reopening it to visitors and tourists from February 1, as the government had relaxed tourism since December 27. However, it said strict protocols would be followed in view of the pandemic.
Only 50 persons will be only allowed to visit the valley at a time and carry their own trekking accessories and bedding requirements is mandatory, the organisation said. Visitors have been asked to get entry ticket from Sayo for pre-booking and the passage will be only through the two permitted entry points — Jakhama and Viswema village in Kohima. They are also required to produce identify cards at the entry point.
Trespassing and entering the valley through different routes is strictly prohibited, Sayo cautioned.
It added that camping in the valley or inside caves has been banned except at the allotted rest house which can accommodate about 200 people at a time.
Meanwhile, Sayo acknowledged all the government agencies, particularly Kohima Forest Division (KFD) personnel and Kohima range forest officer, Pezaneinuo Chielie for assisting its volunteers in fighting the recent inferno.
It was also informed that KFD demobilised its personnel from Dzükou base camp on Friday evening after camping with Sayo volunteers for four more days after the fire was extinguished, to keep a vigil of the vicinity.